Behavioral health and substance abuse resources
Behavioral Health Services, including all mental health, drug and alcohol services are provided by county-specific behavioral health plans.
Members may self-refer for behavioral health services. However, PCPs and other physical healthcare providers often need to recommend that a Member access behavioral health services.
Health Care Providers may call AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania Provider Services Department at 1-800-521-6007 or AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast’s Provider Services Department at 1-888-208-7370 whenever they need help referring a Member for behavioral health services
Cooperation between Network Providers and the Behavioral Health Managed Care Organization/s (BH-MCO) is essential to assure Members receive appropriate and effective care.
Network Providers are required to:
- Adhere to state and Federal confidentiality guidelines for Member medical records, including obtaining any required written Member consents to disclose confidential mental health and drug and alcohol records.
- Refer Members to the appropriate BH-MCO, once a mental health or drug and alcohol problem is suspected or diagnosed.
- To the extent permitted by law, participate in the appropriate sharing of necessary clinical information with the Behavioral Health Provider including, if requested, all prescriptions the Member is taking.
- Be available to the Behavioral Health Provider on a timely basis for consultation.
- Participate in the coordination of care when appropriate.
- Make referrals for social, vocational, educational and human services when a need is identified through an assessment.
- Refer to the Behavioral Health Provider when it is necessary to prescribe a behavioral health drug, so that the Member may receive appropriate support and services necessary to effectively treat the problem.
The BH-MCO provides access to diagnostic, assessment, referral and treatment services including but not limited to:
- Inpatient and outpatient psychiatric services.
- Inpatient and outpatient drug and alcohol services (detoxification and rehabilitation).
- EPSDT behavioral health rehabilitation services for Members up to age 21.
Provider training and education
- Anxiety disorders: Behavioral health training
- Depression: Behavioral health training
- Depression training attestation
Behavioral health and substance abuse – by county
Behavioral health resources
- Behavioral health provider toolkit (PDF)
- Resources and support (PDF)
- Telephonic Psychiatric Consultation Service Program (TiPS)
- TiPS program brochure (PDF)
- TiPS provider education flyer (PDF)
Substance abuse resources
- Access to Drug & Alcohol Treatment Services in HealthChoices: Know Your Rights! (PDF)
- AMA Opioid Task Force (PDF)
- MATx Mobile App (PDF)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- OB Provider Screening Guide: Identifying Opioid Use and Dependence in Pregnant Women and Adolescents (PDF)
- Pennsylvania Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDF)
- Prescription medicine abuse: Starting the conversation (PDF)
- The Opioid Epidemic: Dentistry’s Response